*On 2007 Road Map
Contributed by Marlene Stewart
The following list is of Post Office, Schools and place names located
in Vernon Township, Kay County, Oklahoma. Although every effort has been
made to correctly identify and describe all listings on the following
maps, errors can occur; sources can have conflicting information. Sources
include Chronicles of Oklahoma [OHS], Rooted in the Past Growing for the
Future [NCOH], Oklahoma Department of Transportation Maps, court documents
of incorporation, Oklahoma Atlas’ and Gazetteers and Kay County
Northwest of Newkirk on the Santa Fe Railroad
Post office established March 17, 1917 Named for Charles A Dilworth Townsite
owner and developer. 10 miles NW of Newkirk. According to the county records
Dilworth’s incorporation date was November 5, 1917, population 58.
GNIS Site L-365629N LO-0971341W
A Post Office was established July 15, 1899 with William Leonard postmaster.
Located in the north-central part of the county on the Frisco railroad
line, seven miles west of Newkirk. Named after the railroad builder Ed
Peckham. It once had a population of about 400. In 1894 a school was built
with 47 students in attendance. Businesses included a furniture store,
lumber yards, a bank, livery stable, realty company, restaurant, grocery
store, drug store, implement store, general store, meat marker, candy
and confectionary store, barber shop, hotel and a several churches. GNIS
Site L-365313N LO-0971033W
A Post Office was established April 19, 1894 on the homestead of Tom Trenary,
located 1 ½ miles north of Peckham, with John W Walton as postmaster.
Discontinued July 28, 1903. Effective August 15, 1903 mail to Peckham.
Just west of Dilworth